Moving to an area in Rotterdam that requires an HVV permit? Here you can find more information about acquiring it

It is possible that in some advertisements in Rotterdam, you see that after booking, you would need to apply for an HVV permit. It stands for huisvestingsvergunning and indicates that a tenant, in this case, you, needs permission to live in rental accommodation in areas such as:

  • Carnisse

  • Hillesluis

  • Oud Charlois

  • Bloemhof

  • Tarwewijk

  • In addition to the mentioned areas some streets in Delfshaven: Grote Visserijstraat, Mathenesserdijk, Mathenesserweg, Schiedamseweg, Willem Buytewechstraat, Vierambachtstraat, ‘s-Gravendijkwal, 1e Middellandstraat, 2e Middellandstraat and Middellandplein.

You can find more information about this on the website of the municipality gemeente Rotterdam.

To obtain the permit, you must meet certain requirements. These requirements are stated in Articles 8 and 10 of the Special Measures for Urban Problems Act.

Here you can find a quick overview of these articles:

Article 8: income

Have you lived in the Rotterdam region for less than 6 years? And do you want to rent accommodation in an area where a housing permit is required? Then you must meet the following criteria:

  1. the tenant is economically independent

  2. the income is higher than the Rotterdam social assistance standard

  3. the tenant’s income comes from:
    - Work (employment contract)
    - Independent profession
    - Own company
    - Voluntary early retirement
    - AOW pension
    - Retirement or survivor’s pension
    - Student financing

Other forms of income are not allowed

If you are going to live with someone who already has a housing permit and you are going to run a sustainable common household, you do not need Article 8 housing permits. This applies to spouses / registered partners / parents - children / sisters - brothers. If you are not first- or second-line relatives, but you do form a sustainable common household, you must submit a statement of sustainable common household with your application.

Article 10: police screening

The municipality will first investigate whether you have caused a nuisance or displayed criminal behaviour in the past. If this is not the case, you are eligible for a housing permit. If this is the case, you will not receive the permit, and you cannot rent the accommodation. The main tenant and all persons aged 16 and over who move along are screened. To be eligible for a housing permit, you must have Dutch nationality or a valid residence permit.

For a Residence permit, non-EU citizens first have to make an appointment with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) to apply for a residence permit. After approval from the IND, you can make an appointment to register at the city hall. Your Citizen Service Number (Burger Service Nummer, or BSN) will be issued after submitting the required documents.

If you have any questions regarding the HVV permit, please contact the Municipality directly or ask your advertiser for help in the application process.

Did this answer your question?